Research, study, higher education students exchange, internships and volunteer work
- Work contract or host agreement with the research centre or university; or,
- Letter of acceptance by the research centre or university and prof of scholar-ship or research grant; or,
- Statement of responsibility signed by the research centre or university to cover admission and living costs.
Researchers admitted to a research centre or higher education institution officially recognized under the terms of the legislation in force (Article 91-B of Law 23/2007) are exempt from presenting: health insurance or equivalent, employment contract or convention, travel insurance and means of subsistence.
Whenever the applicant is the beneficiary of a study or research grant, he is exempt from presenting the document proving admission, as well as proof of sufficient means of subsistence, provided he informs the Consular Post of this fact.
HIGHER EDUCATION STUDENTS
- Fulfils admission criteria or has been accepted to university for a study program and has enough financial resources to attend such program.
Higher education students admitted to a higher education institution officially recognized under the terms of the legislation in force (Article 91-B of Law 23/2007) are exempt from presenting health insurance or equivalent, from prov-ing admission conditions or how they were accepted in a higher education institu-tion, travel insurance or means of subsistence.
Students benefiting from a scholarship, as well as beneficiaries of a scholarship awarded by Camões – Instituto da Cooperação e da Língua, are exempt from presenting the document proving admission and proof of sufficient means of subsistence.
Applicants for residence visas who are third-country nationals of Portuguese speaking countries are exempt from proof of means of subsistence when admitted to a higher education institution.
SECONDARY EDUCATION STUDENTS
- Evidence of having been admitted attending a recognized education program equivalent to levels 2 and 3 of the international standard education classifica-tion, in a student exchange framework or through individual admission to an educational project carried out by a recognized educational establishment;
- Be between 14 and 21 years of age;
- Proof of having been hosted by a family or having secured accommodation in suitable facilities, within the educational establishment or elsewhere;
- Proof of having been admitted attending a course of qualification levels 4 or 5 of the National Qualifications Framework (QNQ) or training courses given by educational or vocational training establishments, if they prove they have the means, travel insurance and insurance of health.
In the case of student exchange, proof of means of subsistence can be carried out by submitting a statement of responsibility by the organization responsible for student exchange programs.
All students benefiting from a scholarship awarded by Camões – Instituto da Cooperação e da Língua are exempt from presenting the document proving admission and proof of sufficient means of subsistence.
Proof of internship acceptance by the certified host institution, proof of practical and theoretical training in the field of studies obtained or ongoing, including:
- Description of the training program, including objectives and learning components;
- Duration and schedule for training;
- Location and supervising conditions;
- The legal status of the intern within the host institution;
- A statement that internship does not constitute a replacement for a professional post and acknowledgement of responsibility of payment by the host institution of living costs and removal in case of illegal stay.
For proof of means of subsistence, it can be done through the presentation of a term of responsibility by the host entity for interns.
VOLUNTEER WORK PURPOSES
- Contract with the host entity responsible for the volunteer program, with the duration, schedule, supervision conditions and guarantee of covering food and accommodation expenses, including a minimum amount of subsistence allowance or pocket money; and,
- Subscription of civil liability insurance by the host entity, except in the case of volunteers participating in the European Voluntary Service.
Proof of means of subsistence can be done by submitting a statement of responsibility by the organization responsible for volunteer programs.